Strongsville Ohio History

The Don Pomeroy House is better known today as an elegant restaurant, but during the Civil War it served as a safe haven where runaway slaves could find shelter from the Ohio River and Lake Erie as they sought freedom from bondage. The city is mentioned in the history of Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1879, and there are few charming places in its history that offer a glimpse back into the past. Some are, such as the old train station and the former home of the St. Clair County Courthouse. It was a city that fell into oblivion after 1900 and was run by a supra-local car line from 1897 to 1925.

Charlie's Tavern is still open, but it is now Tinkers Creek Road Tavern, and the old house of the key master is reserved for the visitor center. Walton Hills Historical Resource Center offers guided tours of Little Egypt and meets every Saturday from 9: 30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. and is open to all.

Here you will explore the history of Stark County from its beginnings to its present day. Learn more about the events that led to the founding and settlement of this city and how its history lives on today. Browse through 134 pages to learn more about the history of our city and the beginnings of St. Louis County's first city.

This simple fact becomes apparent when you look at the history of Strongsville as presented by Neil W. Coughlin in his book: "St. Louis County's First City: The History of Stark County. In the book, Couglin writes that the land on which Strong sits was purchased in 1807 by the family of William Galeb and his son-in-law, William C. Gebel. They had a Treasury Department grant to buy 41 acres of land in the county.

Asher and Abigail were buried at Coe Ridge Cemetery, which was officially founded in 1845, and William was buried with relatives at Harvard Grove Cemetery on Lansing Ave. They later moved to Lake County, where they were buried with their relatives at Evergreen Cemetery on Main St. in Painesville. Some of their children had behaved, but Asher, Abigail and Ezra were all buried without relatives at the Brecksville (Highland Dr.) cemetery.

The Comstock and other early settlers were buried at Tinkers Creek Cemetery, which is north of Tinkers Creek Rd. Some headstones are still intact, while other residents were buried in nearby Brecksville, Highland Dr. Cemetery on the east side of the road, near the intersection of Breckenridge Ave. And St. Clair Avenue, just south of Raccoon Creek Road.

The building, once known as Miss Gilbert's Academy, once served as a high school for young women in the Strongsville area. After graduating, he spent just one more summer in Strong, where he worked as a Cuyahoga County engineer for one summer while at Kent State. He lived at home and even attended a television news workshop in Kent State a month before moving to Ashland. His family visited Ashlands and eventually went to eat at the Surrey Inn, and he visited his family for the first time in his life in Ashland.

The pitiful Coke machine was the only thing he liked more than the school itself, and that was it.

In that year a combination of lake and watermill was built at Tinkers Creek, and by 1815 more settlers were settled. There was a post office, which served as the first postmaster until 1864, as well as a school, a hospital and a grocery store.

In 1818 Strong moved with his family to Ohio and lived in a log cabin prepared for them in the center of No. 5, which he lived in until his death. It was called Strongsville and officially declared a township on February 25, 1819. Moses and Polly built a beautiful two-story brick house opposite the steam and sightseeing mill at what is now Tinkers Creek and Newburgh Street in the village. The Gleesons built another house on the Ohio-Erie Canal, which ran through the city and opened in 1827. After the mill, the "Newburgh Village" was created, and after the county atlas was printed in 1874, it was incorporated into the 18th district of Cleveland.

Today, the brickyard is the maintenance area for Cleveland Metroparks, and Couhglin says there are mud pits that serve as breeding grounds for fish. North of Pearl Road, once known as the Cleveland Wooster Turnpike, and south of today's Strongsville Community Center, built in the early 1950s. There is an old railway station on the corner of Newburgh and Pearl Road, just east of Tinkers Creek. It is located west of the Ohio-Erie Canal and was once known as Cleveland Woosters TurnPike, but is now part of Cleveland Metropolitan Park, a public park and recreation area.

More About Strongsville

More About Strongsville